Samples are frequently connected to each other, for example: Plasmids harboring genes, tissues harvested from patients, or animal specimens, & cell lines created from transfected/infection of a plasmid etc.
Labguru enables you to recreate these connections by linking collections together:
1. Go to collection customization page (available only to admins) --> add derived collections.
An additional option is to set this field as required so that it has to be populated for each item in that collection. This can be done by editing it under the derived collections section in the collection customization page.
2. An item from this collection can be a "parent" or "base" to items from other collections.
A new tab called 'Derived Items' appears on the items from this collection where all the samples from the derived collections linked to the item are listed.
(In the Derived Items you will now see another field in their description called 'Parent item'.)
How to add derived items:
1. Go to the parent item page -> Choose Derived collection tab --> There is an option to add new derived items
The new cell lines added will also be automatically added to the Cell Line inventory list.
2. From the derived item --> Info tab, appears the details about the parent item:
2.1 Add or edit a parent item --> Click 'Edit' under the 'Info' tab --> The following window opens:
- Add multiple derived items using the import function. The template contains an additional column to add the parent name or SysID
- Parents and derivatives items can belong to the same collection
- A parent item can have multiple derivatives
- A parent item can be also a derived item