Populating your inventory collections is one of the most important steps on the road to good inventory sample management.
There are 2 ways to add samples to your inventory:
1) Adding a single sample from the Inventory index page
2) Importing samples in bulk using a template
Importing a collection using a template:
To import items into your collection, you must first set up and customize your collection.
1. After customizing the collection, go to your collection index page
2. Click the 3 dots and select 'Import/Update':
3. In the New Import page, download Labguru’s customized import template (.xlsx format).
The import templates change depending on the collection and are updated every time you customize your collection. Always make sure you are working with an up-to-date template.
4. Fill in your template (Excel spreadsheet).
The template columns are color-coded:
Blue = default fields for items
Orange = custom fields for items
Green = Parent collections
Red = sequence info
Purple = stock info
Any column with an * next to the name is a required field.
Follow the Do’s and Don’ts of using the Labguru template to avoid problems during the import process.
When copy/pasting values (numbers, text, formulas, etc.) into your template, make sure to use the “Paste Special > Values” option.
* When pasting dates, you may use the regular Paste option.
DO NOT delete/rename/move/add any columns in your template (if you are not using a specific column, you may hide it or just leave it blank).
The Name field is the only mandatory field in your template (that is why it is marked with an asterisk).
System ID (SysID): Do not fill in this column. It is used only when updating existing items.
Only when importing consumables or commercial items:
Add Manufacturer and Catalog No. (if you or another member prepared the material yourselves, fill in the Produced by column instead).
Created at: Do not fill in this column
Owner: If this column is left empty you will automatically be the owner of the item.
Tags: Use this column to add new items already with Labguru tags.
Catalog No. The number/string in this column must be unique. Make sure that there are no items in your inventory with the same Cat. No.
5. After all the necessary information is entered into your template, upload the file to Labguru. In the Import page click the button at the bottom to select a file for upload.
* You can also drag the desired file to the upload field.
The Import process runs in the background. Meaning, you can continue working in Labguru.
Once the import is complete, you will receive an email notification with a link to the collection page. If the import was not successful, you will be re-directed from the email to the import summary page to fix the errors.
When the upload is complete the system will display an import summary.
6. If the template was not filled out correctly the system will display an error. Fix the problem in the template file and click the I'm Done, Re-import Now button.
If you encounter any issues with importing your samples, please see the troubleshooting import article. If the issue persists please send your file to our support team and we will be happy to assist. Contact us using the blue smiley icon present in any Labguru page at the bottom right.