Populating your inventory collections is one of the biggest steps and the road to good inventory sample management.
To facilitate this procedure, Labguru offers the option to add several items in bulk to inventory collections using the import function.
How can I import my collection?
Before starting importing, make sure to customize your collection (available to admins only) to add any additional fields you feel are necessary.
a. Choose ‘Customize’ from the drop down available when clicking the cog icon on the upper right (available only for admins)
b. you will be redirected to the customization page, where you can choose which fields you need from the one we offer
and also add your own ones by clicking:
Those newly added fields will be automatically added to the import template.
How- To import new items to your collections :
1. Within your collection home page, choose 'Import' from the drop-down menu that opens from the cog icon on the upper right of the screen:
2. Download Labguru’s customized import template (.xlsx format), that will contain the field customization we did before.
Important: The import templates are specific for each collection and being updated every time you customize the collection. Always make sure you are working with an up-to-date template.
3. Populate your sheet following these important instructions, and the ones written on the import page:
- DO NOT delete/rename/move/add any columns(You may keep them blank or hide them if empty).
- We recommend using "Paste Special -- Values" when copying to our template. For dates, just use regular "Paste".
- The only mandatory field is Name.
- Only when importing consumables you must add: Manufacturer and Catalog No. (In case you or another member prepared the material yourself, fill the Produced by column instead).
- Blue columns are the item's information. Orange columns are the custom fields added by the users. Purple columns are the stocks description that relates to the specific item.
- System ID: Do not fill this column. This is used only when updating existing items.
- Owner: If you keep it empty, you will be automatically the owner of the item.
- Date of creation: Enter when was the item created yyyy-mm-dd
- Tags: Use this column to add new items already with Labguru tags.
- Catalog No. When importing items with purchasable attributes, this column have to be unique. Make sure that there is no items in your inventory with the same Cat. No.
If you use the import file to add aliquots (stocks) for each item/sample you add. Make sure to follow these recommendations:
- Stock id: Do not fill this column. This is used only when updating existing items.
- Stock type: Add one stock type (Tube, Slide, Block, Package, Bottle, Vial, Envelope or Other). If no stock type will be entered, the default will be Tube.
- Stock count: Fill in by entering a number IF you wish to create more than one tube AND tube position field was left blank.
- Stock owner and Stored/frozen by: your can choose a member from the list or keep it empty and you will be automatically the owner.
- Box name: Fill in the box name if your item is located inside a box. If the box doesn’t exist, the system will create it for you (as a general box).
- Box dimensions - # rows or #columns: Relevant when the box is not already in the system. If left blank, system automatically creates a 10X10 box.
- Stock position: Choose where you want to place your stock inside the box. Enter either numeric or alphanumeric position (e.g. 1B or 11), If multiple tubes, simply separate by commas (e.g. 1, 5, 12, 16). Note - If left blank, the system will automatically place a tube in the first available slots within the box.
- Storage Location (mandatory): Choose where to locate the stock, directly into a storage location, that you can choose from the drop-down menu options given or a box that could be also place in to a storage location (room, freezer..)
4. Upload your template file to Labguru.
5. The import process is a background job , meaning you can move on to other pages in Labguru to continue working. Once the import is done, you will receive an email notification with a link to the collection page.
*If the import was not successful, you will be re-directed from the email to the import summary page to fix the errors.
If you encounter any problem, review this article, if the issue persist please send your file to our support team and we will be happy to assist, contact us using the support menu on the top left.